Harwood Family
Cody ~ Chelsey ~ Annalyn ~ Jacob ~ Elizabeth

Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.




Monday, February 4, 2008

My Collection

In response the Angie's challenge, this was the only thing I could come up with. When I was in high school and college, I loved to buy children's books! It was really nice when I got in college and needed to write lesson plans based on certain books that I already had. I still would almost rather buy children's books than books for me because I think it is so much fun. But at least now I have kids so I have more of an excuse when I buy them. I had to condense this list WAY, WAY, WAY, WAAAAYYYYYY down, but here just a "few" of my favorites...



This is an adorable Valentine's Day book about really making someone feel special

by Eileen Spinelli


Kind of a sequence book like "There was an old lady..." by Audrey Wood and her husband Don illustrates it.


This book makes Anna laugh everytime we read it; so simple and cute by Bill Martin Jr.



This is a book for all the moms; if you haven't read it tell me and I'll send you my copy because this totally describes how we feel every day! Jill Murphy wrote 5 or 6 books about this elephant family and they are all hilarious.



Way cute story about making friends with the unexpected by Michael Bedard



These two books are really cute for rhyming by Sheena Knowles



Jamie Lee Curtis (yes the celebrity) wrote the next three, and I love them! She writes just like how a child thinks. Anna loves "When I was little" and I love reading it to her because it so much fun.




I think this book is the first one I ever bought out of my "collection". No words, just pictures but you still laugh and smile just as much.


All time classic

Okay, this one might have been the one I first bought (can't remember!) but I love this story.
Just a sweet story when you're in the mood.

This is THE cutest story about kids and school. Poor little Rodney Rat can't pronounce his r's and he ends up being the hero in his class! You will laugh so much!
Another very sweet book.

Like everyone, Eric Carle is one of my favorites. The Grouchy Ladybug is Anna's favorite right now; we've read it every night for a least two weeks. We'll see how long it lasts before she wants a new book.




These two are very funny! Animals taking over control!



Another all time classic - I love this book!

Kevin Henkes wrote the next 4 books and he is one of my favorite authors. I have these too if anyone wants to read them. They are adorable stories, all about kids and the challenges they face from security blankets from being made fun of at school.





The next 4 are written by Mem Fox and she is awesome! My favorite one of hers is "Whoever you are" which I need to replace because its very worn.





Okay I can't pick a favorite author because I think Patricia Polacco is one of the best. Each one of her books have a very deep meaning and are very well-written. They are really long, but they each have touched me in some way or another.






4 comments:

Hacking it up said...

Awesome collection Chels! I've got most of those, but I see there are a few I need to add to my list!!! Thanks for sharing!!!I LOVE children's books too!

Unknown said...

Hey Chels....way to rise to the challenge! I loved reading about your collection and I have to say that the only one of those books that I have is the one you gave us as a gift, the one by Jamie Lee Curtis "tell me again about the day I was born" that is such a special book! I'm excited now because I have a reference as to what I need to buy in terms of great childrens books for Adam so thank you!

Bethany said...

I ALSO collect Children books. I found them much more interesting when I was younger and still would rather read them than anything else. I love all the Max Lucado books (You Are Special) and two of my other absolute favorites are "Hip Hip Hooray For Annie McRay" and "Fanny's Dream." They are so sweet. I'll have to go get some of your favorites. I have never heard of some of them. Thank you so much for sharing.

Nat said...

What a collection you have! I will have to refer back to that when I am looking for a good childrens book.