Harwood Family
Cody ~ Chelsey ~ Annalyn ~ Jacob ~ Elizabeth

Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.




Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Halloween Treats

I'm a total sucker for anything baked with sugar and frosting. Anna is the same way, so we like any excuse to make cookies with sugar and frosting. We spent yesterday making Halloween sugar cookies. We found some cookie cutters at the dollar store and, come on, you have to admit that making cookies into certain shapes is really fun! Anna is such a helper...she organized the cookie cutters and had them all ready to go, about three hours before. But we had fun.



Since I wasn't about to let Jake get near the frosting or sprinkles, I gave him a piece of dough and some flour so he could roll it like me. That entertained him for about 30 minutes, which is really amazing when you think about it. The dough was eventually eaten, but the flour was still really fun to play with. He had it everywhere, but at least he had fun!


Doesn't she look like a professional chef with her apron on?

And the finished product...


Yeah, you might be wondering what's with the blue/purple frosting? Okay, well, I realized that with our bat shaped cookies what color were we going to frost them? I didn't have any black frosting, so I thought I'd try to "make some". Yeah, just for future reference, no matter how much food coloring you put together it doesn't make black. So I tried to salvage it by trying to turn it into purple for the witch's hat shaped cookies and this is what it looked like.

I'll try to save some for the kids to eat while they are sleeping...he he he.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

love your post! love the sugar cookies too, they taste even better when eat'n sneakalee!

Brandee Lloyd said...

Looks like fun. I can't wait for halloween to dress up the kiddos!! Let me know if you need help eating those!!

TheSainOnes said...

Looks like a lot of fun no matter what color the frosting is.

Alison said...

What a fun project. My boys like to eat most of the frosting before it gets on the cookies. I may have to make some cookies with my kids this weekend.

Hacking it up said...

Yum!! Sugar cookie making at Halloween is a tradition here too!! And I think your frosting looks fine...You should ask my mom about the time she tried to make brown frosting for Carey's cat b-day cake...it looked like diarrhea..
The kids are so cute!! I always get sick making cookies because I eat too much dough and frosting...

Lynne said...

Good thing she make cookies
that the only time I get good homemade one,and they were good thanks Lynn

Littletime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Littletime said...

I miss those days of making cookies for the hoildays with the kids, so enjoy every moments with them. Your kids are so dang cut.

Nat said...

Very fun activity, Alison and I actually made some last friday too, I think purple frosting is okay for halloween!

Helen said...

Hey, I have learned how to make black frosting. You buy black paste from waltons.

Saedi said...

Yum. I wish I was eating some right now!